Sunday night football makes its return this September with the Pittsburgh Steelers vs. New England Patriots Week 1 contest. The Pats enter this year’s NFL online betting action as the reigning Super Bowl champions eager to get an early start on the playoff race. The Steelers on the other hand, failed to make the postseason cut last season and need a strong start to the season to appease their fans. So what will the NFL odds have to say about this contest?
Pittsburgh Steelers vs. New England Patriots – Sunday, September 8th
|When:||8:20 pm ET|
|Where:||Gillette Stadium, Foxborough, Massachusetts|
|Stream:||NBC Extra, NFL Game Pass|
— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) July 24, 2019
Pittsburgh Steelers vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds
|Steelers||+6 (-110)||51 (-110)||–|
|Patriots||-6 (-110)||51 (-110)||–|
The Steelers turned in a 9-6-1 record to finish 2nd in the AFC North and narrowly miss out on playoff qualification. All things considered, it’s surprising to see Pittsburgh being able to win 9-games considering the mountain of issues they faced. In the offseason, Le’Veon Bell put an unnecessary spotlight on the team due to his decision to sit out the season. Bell was tired of getting the franchise tag from Pittsburgh. The franchise tag ensures Bell gets good money for a lone season. However, it doesn’t secure his future. Considering how short a running back’s career is, it makes sense for Bell to play this card. However, there’s no denying that it had a massive and negative impact on Pittsburgh. Additionally, star receiver Antonio Brown ensured that tensions in the locker room were never resolved by being a continual nuisance both off and on the field. Both those trouble makers are gone now so it’ll be interesting to see if the Steelers are able to return to the Pittsburgh way of doing things.
Players to Watch: Ben Roethlisberger (5,129 passing yards, 34 TD, 16 INT), James Conner (973 rushing yards, 12 TD, 3 F), and JuJu Smith-Schuster (1,426 receiving yards, 7 TD, 111 REC).
New England Patriots
The Patriots are the reigning Super Bowl champions and it comes as no surprise. This dynasty seems to be stretching out longer than anyone could’ve anticipated and it’s all thanks to the consistent play at quarterback from Tom Brady. Brady doesn’t need high mobility to get the job done and he’s not making a myriad of eye-catching throws. Instead, Brady has a plethora of knowledge about pro football which allows him to basically make the perfect check down play in and play out. It doesn’t make for a highlight reel the way Patrick Mahomes’ play does. However, there’s no arguing with the results of this finely tuned machine. With a handful of talented pieces around him, we know full well Brady will pick up right where he left off this past season, with a Super Bowl trophy in hand.
Players to Watch: Tom Brady (4,355 passing yards, 29 TD, 11 INT), Sony Michel (931 rushing yards, 6 TD, 1 F), and Julian Edelman (850 receiving yards, 6 TD, 74 REC).
Pittsburgh Steelers vs. New England Patriots Betting Numbers
- 2-4 ATS in their last 6 games.
- The TOTAL has gone UNDER in 5 of Pittsburgh’s last 7 games.
- 4-12-1 ATS in their last 17 games against New England
- 1-5 SU in their last 6 games against New England.
- The TOTAL has gone UNDER in 5 of Pittsburgh’s last 6 games on the road.
- 1-5 SU in their last 6 games when playing on the road against New England.
- 1-6-1 ATS in their last 8 games played in week 1.
- 1-4 ATS in their last 5 games played in September.
New England Patriots
- 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games
- The TOTAL has gone UNDER in 9 of New England’s last 12 games.
- 5-0 SU in their last 5 games.
- The TOTAL has gone UNDER in 4 of New England’s last 5 games against Pittsburgh.
- 16-0 SU in their last 16 games at home.
- The TOTAL has gone UNDER in 6 of New England’s last 9 games against an opponent in the AFC conference.
- 8-4 ATS in their last 12 games played in September.
- 6-1 ATS in their last 7 games against an opponent in the AFC North division.
- The total has gone UNDER in 8 of New England’s last 11 games played on a Sunday.
Pittsburgh Steelers vs. New England Patriots Betting Picks
So which side should mobile betting fans take in this Pittsburgh Steelers vs. New England Patriots matchup? All things considered, this one could go either way. These two have a bit of a rivalry between them and there’s too much talent on both sides to call this one easily. Nevertheless, taking Brady at home is too safe of a bet to pass up. Sign up today to make your online betting prediction!
Score Prediction: 42-39 New England.